Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Poem - Greed

At season’s end I trod the wood
A respite from winter’s touch my sole desire
Comfort against wrathful pain
Fallen man, the cause of loss

The world’s magnanimous beauty unfurls
Like Solomon’s splendor, the leaves beguile
Golden coins, so high above
Good to the eye, I resolve to make them mine

Nearby I behold a squat old tree, no glamor in its name
Its boughs protected me during summer’s storms
An evergreen, unchanging still
Normalcy in the midst of new extravagance

How do I attain the comfort
Of these shimmering jewels on high
Perhaps a wait at the provider’s feet
Will provide healing against the coming loss

With time the force of nature speaks
And bends the boughs above
My heart’s desire, tumbling down
Now just dead and brown.

Perhaps a climb to these heights unknown
To gain my golden greatness
Others have dared the passage before
Some have fallen, but the reward seems greater

Tearing bark consumes my flesh
I wonder at the cost
The golden leaves, proximity alluring
But my strength is like dawn’s mist

At last I’m among the goal of my endeavor
Yet triumph gives ground to confusion
On closer inspection my flawless comfort
Stands somehow diminished

Still, I will claim my long-sought prize
Recklessly, my arm extends
The golden leaves pull free, and I
Descend in gravity’s unfeeling embrace

What has stopped this final plunge
Interposed between I and Death’s hand
The bountiful, aged evergreen!
Arrested in its rough caress

As winter comes I make my bed
Beneath the old squat tree
Dreams fill my head, what might have been
The last of my prize wilts away

The forest now is dead and brown
Buried in winter’s icy embrace
The emerald beauty of my evergreen
Shines in this world of loss

A revelation strikes me, too late to change the past
I failed to note the old tree’s worth
Yet as winter comes, and I breathe my last,
The evergreen still surrounds.

Randall Madden

March 31, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment