Thursday, October 9, 2014

Poem – Deliver Me

In my mind, poetry should speak honestly before all else. Without exposing raw emotion, it really falls short of showcasing the truest bits of our humanity.

With that in mind, I’ve written a more frustrated piece this week, hearkening to several weeks of hard knocks. The purpose was merely to vent some of the mounting frustrations that I had been facing.

In my desire to expose some element of raw emotion, I hope it delivers.

Deliver Me

Deliver me, O Lord
From a world of indifference
Cold numbers and statistics
Mark what should be much more
Cold slabs of meat
All that remains of humanity
Carcasses, still drawing breath
In a world of jaded despair
Where went our basic dignity
And respect for one another?
Lost, like the teachings of the Law
In that cursed Israelite generation
I scream, I cry, I rail
Cannot anybody hear me?
Songbird’s call drowned out
In the buzz of monotonous gray

Lord, please deliver me.

Randall Madden

October 2, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment