Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Poem - There is a Place

There is a place where a man may dream dreams

I know of the place
For I have been there often
Fleetingly, struggling to remain
Yet always in vain.

It is a beautiful land,
Hidden.
Somewhere between unconsciousness
And the first heavy eyelid.

I spend much time in this land
Though I’m no more than a pilgrim
How I long to make this world my own
And live these dreams forever.

It is a place where a man may dream dreams.

Can I claim to be a scholar?
Most times I only recognize a visit
Once it has reached conclusion.
Study as I may, I remain humbled.

How can a fleeting place
So hold the desire?
Never even sure I’m there,
Yet life’s futility fires the craving.

In that wistful place,
A million others stand.
A throng makes music in the fog
My muse’s call alluring

There is a place where a man may dream dreams,
Away from the tedium of proscribed existence.

I hope one day to find it.

Randall Madden
December 9, 2013

1 comment: